Almost A Good Day of Skiing

I had high hopes for the first skiing day of the season. All of my gear is in good shape, the snow was falling and not too heavy, and I was out with a good friend. After some stalls with paperwork that she needed to do for work at Meadows, Denise took me on a tour of the learning area. Damn if the facilities at Meadows aren't wonderful! Nothing like Ski Bowl in that they have a magic carpet, not a rope tow, and a short lift for students with a bit of experience. None of this tromping the snow down for your self thing that Ski Bowl makes its instructors do.

After this short but impressive tour, Denise and I took a blue run to get our legs warm and get the feel for our gear again. This is when my heart decided to start its thing. I was short of breath after only one run and was starting to wonder how long I would make it that day.

The wind was starting to pick up and the snow, although great start of season texture, was starting to make heavy piles in some places and was scraped off with trees and dirt showing in others. These typical early season conditions did not alarm me, but it made for more dangerous skiing.

I don't know if it was the longer runs, or the bit of apprehension that comes with skiing a new mountain, but my body was getting the best of me. By the end of this, what was the first real run of the day, I was feeling exhausted. This feeling would not pass.

We took only two more runs before breaking for lunch. That was to be my day of skiing. My heart would not slow back down through lunch, even though we lunched for a half an hour and then went to get Denise's uniform gear, which took another half hour. I ended up encouraging Denise to take some runs on her own, as she was trying out new boots and a new knee brace.

I went into the day room, where the brown bag lunchers hang out, and stared out at the people skiing and boarding. I was jealous of their ability to do what I wanted to be doing, but I knew that pushing my body would only make things worse or get me injured.

Denise was really nice about everything, but after she dropped me at my car in Sandy I was really sad.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear your day was cut short. That's a bummer. I'm glad you listened to your body, and perhaps once the excitement has worn off of this new place, your body won't be so treacherous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts