"End of Summer" Boat Party

One of the nice things about living near the Mediterranean Sea is the ease of finding boats on which to cruse.  This last weekend I went on a boat cruse with some people from campus, about 50 Americans from the base at Incirlik (sounds like "In-Jer-lick" because the Turks make "c" sound like a "j"... John is spelled "Can") and about 100 Turks.  This was a happening boat, lots of loud music with a DJ, a ton of booze from the Americans with BBQ coolers, and a foam machine on the dance floor.

The adventure started a bit rough, with the driver getting to TAC late, getting a speeding ticket, and missing the boat departure time.  We ended up meeting the boat at the first stop and managed to get the mini-bus full of people safely, if a bit irritatedly, to the party.


This is what the top of the boat looked like.  You can see the dance floor area from where the TAC group staked a table.


This is Ann, after lunch, hanging on the front of the boat.


This is Christie, also hanging on the front of the boat.


This is me and my new friend Ryan.  He is from PA and was a snowboard instructor there.  We have plans to get a trip together and ski some Turkish snow in February.  If contacts work out, we may push people to go to Germany for some skiing too!


This is the view off of the boat.  The water is so blue that sometimes I think it is fake.  The blue is sometimes a turquoise color and has an unreal quality to it.  When you swim in this water it is clear, clear, clear to the bottom.


This is me on the boat.  Do you see all of this shade?  I went for the sun, and I'm sure I got plenty of it throughout the day with all of the swimming I did, but the shade makes for lousy pictures.



This picture is not from the boat trip, but it is from the trip Adam and I took three weeks ago.  We were on some ruins and this was the view.  It is a good idea of how the sea looks around here and how the water and sky run into each other.  It's not a Bob Ross "happy little tree" but it will due for me!

So, the issue I have with this blog post title is the idea that summer is over.  There is no way that the weather is anything fall like at the moment.  It was 35+ degrees today!  (That is about 95.)  In my opinion there is still plenty of summer left.  In fact, TAC is planning a trip to the beach in mid-October for all of the staff.  Many of the Turks think the weather will be too cold for swimming and beach sitting at that time, but I'll let you know what I end up doing.

So, here is to two more months of summer and a classroom full of kids in puffy jackets and winter hats.

Comments

Popular Posts