November Book List

This last month has been a busy one with all of the NaNoWriMo business. I would never have thought that I would be able to finish so much writing in only a month, and I still managed to read, work, and have some fun traveling. My time with Adam did suffer as a result of all of the writing, but he was understanding and encouraged me to reach my goal.


Without further ramblings, here is the reading list for November:

1. "40 Rules of Love" by Elif Shafak-- This is a book that is written by a Turkish author and is translated into English. My experience so far with Turkish is that it really doesn’t match up with English in many ways, so I'm going to chalk some of the problems I had with this book up to translation issues. The story focuses on Rumi, one of the first great Whirling Dervishes, and a very important friendship he had with another man several hundred years ago. There is another parallel story line that takes place in modern day and shows how the 40 ideals of this friend can connect with modern life.

2. "The Skin I'm In" by Sharon Flake-- This powerful book puts you in the mind of a middle school aged girl, who feels she is too black to be accepted by her peers. This book is about alienation and growing up and learning lessons that change who we are. This one is very good and has won many awards. It is similar to "Precious" in that you are in the mind of the character, but this girl had a bit more stability in her life.

3. "Monster" by Walter Dean Myers-- Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be on trial for murder? This book looks at what it may be like for a young black man to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time and be drawn into a robbery gone bad. The writing is interesting in format: a combination of journal entries and movie script. Again, this book's cover is littered with awards, so you don't need to take my word on if it is good or not.

4. "Paper Town" by John Green-- This book is fascinating. Issues of economic recession, the housing bust, and becoming autonomous from your parents all collide in the life of a high school senior who had the good luck, or misfortune, to live next to a Margo Roth Spiegelman whose personality is a force to be reckoned with. As I enjoyed his "Abundance of Katherines" last month, it is no surprise that I found this one enjoyable too.

5. "The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Jenny Han-- This is a first romance, I'm growing up, kind of book for girls. If you're between the ages of 12 and 19 you will love it. The rest of us whose mind set is between those ages will also like it. Much above that level and you may think it is predictable and juvenile, because it is young adult literature.

6. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett-- If you loved "To Kill a Mocking Bird," then go out and get this book. If you have just been looking for a good book, then go out and get this book. If you like well written books, then go out and get this book. I'm sure you've heard of it, so go out and get it!

For a month that had so many demands on my time, I've managed a fairly long list. Yes, some of the books are for kids, but some are for adults. I don't really care what you all read out there in cyber space, as long as you are reading.

Comments

Popular Posts