April Book List

This month's reading list is filled with some funny stuff.  Adam had discovered Christopher Moore (I think many people have) and he got me to start reading him by loading up the Nook with six or seven of his titles. 

Have I mentioned how great the Nook is? How else can I be given a half dozen books and have NOTHING extra at all to pack when I leave this country? It's awesome.

1. "The Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. LeGuin-- This is one of those books that I felt that I should read because it's such a big deal in the world of fantasy books.  This is one of those books that has inspired other authors and it was just a good idea to read it and have some idea what it was about.  I got it years... ago, after I had the pleasure of listening to Mrs. LeGuin speak at an OPB think in Portland.  She was a great interview and I loved being in the live studio audience.  The book is short and fast to read, and it is written with a fairly distant narrator's voice which give the story more mythic distance.  Good and evil are at odds and the main character struggles to re-balance the two after he messes things up in a youthful mistake.

2. "World War Z" by Max Brooks-- Two words: Zombie Apocalypse.  This book captures personal "interviews" with survivors of the great zombie war.  It's fascinating.  Each interview is only a few pages long, and very few of the characters have more than one story to share, but the way the vignettes are put together gives you the impression of an entire world of experience from the war's start to finish.  I don't normally go in for war books, but this one was hard to put down.  And don't just think that this is a silly sci-fi book-- it has meat and depth to its commentary on the human condition.  I'd love to figure out a way to use it in class some day.

3. "Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings" by Christopher Moore-- Why do whales sing?  That's the question that motivates the main character in this book, Nate, in his whale research in Hawaii.  This story takes a perfectly believable premise, whale researchers, and adds a touch of absurdity to create a fantastic alternate world where a million year old creature has fallen in love with the song of whales and will do anything to protect the creatures it loves.  It's a great summer/beach read if you are looking for one.

4. "You Suck" by Christopher Moore-- This is the second of the "Love Story" that was started by "Bloodsucking Fiends".  This installment has more twists and turns set in San Francisco with the vampires Jody and Tommy. This one introduces Abby Normal-- daylight slave whose desire is to do the bidding of her dark lord.  She is a hoot as a character: obsessive, immature, and captivated by the idea of being a vampire.  She kind of reminds me of all of the girls who are Team Edward fans...

5. "Bite Me" by Christopher Moore-- this is the last in the "Love Story" trilogy.  The book maintains the absurdity that I love and now expect from Mr. Moore, and it also keeps you guessing with how the story is going to end.  This is my 5th Moore book in two months, so you can see that I'm enjoying his work!

Okay kids-- that's all for this month-- Unless you want to count the five times I've read "Hamlet".  I guess I could.

6-10. "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare-- If you don't know what this is about you probably have not made it out of high school yet.  Spoiler: Everyone dies.  It's a tragedy, that's what happens in these things.  If you want to read it, but need some help I recommend "No Fear Shakespeare". 

Comments

Popular Posts