January and February Reading List

Between reading, traveling, grading, and sickness, I haven't been blogging all that much.

Here is what I remember from the last two months:

1. "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan-- This is a captivating novel told from the wolf's point of view.  He has all but given up on living, and then he found the last female werewolf and decides that there is something worth living for after all.  I'm making it sound more cheesy than it is, trust me.

2. "The Last Dragonslayer" by Jasper Fforde-- This is another Fforde absurdest novel, but it did not live up to what I want from him.  The protagonist, Jennifer Strange, is attempting some of the quirky wonder that marked the successful Thursday Next, but she just doesn't make the mark.

3. "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman-- This is something of a cross between "Harry Potter" and "Narnia" but it goes sideways after the first 100 pages or so.  Honestly, I thought about not finishing the book several times, but I was so near the end that I couldn't do it.  I spoke with my sister, who has great taste in books, and she felt the same way.  What could have been a great story gets too wrapped up in the psychological aspects of the main character.  It was kind of like reading about what would have happened if Holden Caulfield was a magician who could travel to alternate realities.... Too much whining. 

4. "A Doll's House" by Henrik Ibsen-- I was teaching this during the month of February, so I must have read it 9 or 10 times.  This is a great play and if you'd rather view it than read it, I suggest the "Digital Theatre" version that you can buy online.

Comments

Popular Posts