March and April Reading List 2013

In March I was a little stuck over what to read. Nothing was really looking good on my unread list, and the library here at school didn't really offer up any exciting choices at the moment.

I made due by rereading too books that I really enjoyed last year.

1-2. "A Discovery of Witches" and "Shadow of Night" by Deborah Harkness-- I see that I forgot to review the second book in the series, so I'll do that now.  The second book gets more interesting than the first, in part because the main characters, Diana and Matthew, get married, and in part because of time travel.  It may sound a bit hokey, but I promise, it stays interesting and fun.  The modern sensibilities of Diana get pitted against 15th C. mores and that makes some interesting food for thought.  As I said, I was reading this for the second time, so it must be good.

3. "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach-- This is a great book about growing up in America, how life changes people, and love.  Set around the game of baseball, the main characters work through issue of worth, confidence, and desire while finding time to play ball in a way only dreamed of by most.  This is worthy of all the praise it was given, and, as it was recommended by my sister, it gets an extra awesome endorsement. A book for adults or older high school students.

4. "Speaking From Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley-- Hello, again, Flavia de Luce.  This, the fifth in the series, does not leave the reader disappointed.  There are all of the markers of a de Luce novel: a dead body, a stealthy and sassy investigator, chemical reactions, broken rules, and sisterly fights, but there is also something of a twist in the closing of this novel that had me exclaiming out loud as the last page was turned.  I will say that I can not WAIT for the next installment to be published, as I was left with something of a cliffhanger.  A book for adults, but also for more mature middle school and high school readers.  It does deal with murder, and the crimes are described after all.

5. "Witch and Wizard" by James Paterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet--  This is a book that I've seen around for a while, but have never picked up.  It is a pretty typical dystopian-kids-in-danger-all-freedom-lost sort of book with the addition of magical powers.  By the end of book one (this is shaping up to be a massive series) the reader does not really know much other than there is a sadistic evil ruler who is out for blood.  The two main characters, Whit and Wisty, are left to their own devices to find their lost parents, and stop the world from being destroyed by "The One Who Is The One".  I'd peg this at 5-9th grade for optimal enjoyment of plot and reading level.

Comments

Popular Posts