Waiting for a Reply

This week I've been waiting to hear about something that might be exciting. 

Every time I open my email, which is getting to be about 100 times a day, I'm getting butterflies in my tummy.  The anticipation is both exciting and nauseating.  Added to this is the fact that email can be delivered at anytime. 

This makes me think back to when I was in high school and I was waiting for my college acceptance letters.  I am old enough that these things were still sent through the USPS, not electronically like many are today.

I lived at the end of a dirt road, on the top of a hill in Eastern Washington.  Our mail box was a good 200 yards down the hill and going to check the mail took some time if you had to walk.  Weekdays, the mail was in a pile at the end of the kitchen counter because my mom would pick it up in the middle of the day while we were at school.  But on Saturdays when I was waiting to see which universities wanted me, I remember walking down the hill with this same feeling of "will I know something today?" that I have now. 

The biggest difference was that I knew what time to expect the mail; 10:30 each day, or there about, the mail lady would drive up and make her round of my road.  There is a unique sound that a car makes on gravel.  When that sound was paired with the distinct squeak that our mail box door made, and the rattle of the flag going up on the side, I knew it was time to walk down and see what was there.

What I'm going through now is not as picturesque as what I remember getting mail to be like, and in fact it is likely way worse for my health.  Instead of building up my worry and anticipation one time a day, I'm getting that same feeling dozens of times.  That can't be good for my heart.

Now, I need to try to discipline myself to check my email only once or twice a day.  This is going to be nearly impossible I think.  Anyone out there got any hints on how to control myself?

Comments

Popular Posts