Flashy Kids


I know it is not flashy or glamorous, but this is how a quilt starts.  It is a pile of fabric, cut into small pieces that are going to be made into large pieces of fabric that look different.  This particular pile of fabric is for Jessica and Mike's baby on the way.  I made the blanket before the gender, boy, was known, so I thought about what would make the Mommy most happy.

I came up with bright orange, yellow, lime green, royal purple, and fuchsia.  The fuchsia is a space-y print that reminds me of a NASA nebula picture.


This is what sewing all of the little pieces back together looks like.  You can see that there are four little pieces sewn together to make a block, and there is a "prayer flag" like collection of the blocks being sewn together piling up behind my machine.

When I got all of the blocks sewn together, I was satisfied with the lightning bolt effect that was made by the four piece blocks.  All of the fuchsia fabric is in blocks as well so the space print is ka bit random feeling too.


I used gold polyester thread to quilt the blanket to carry the "space" theme as far as I could.  I used the Greek Key Block pattern of free motion quilting that I am starting to love.  I am also getting good at it and my stitches are looking more uniform.

The back of the quilt is a lime green Minky swirl.  I love it for kids blankets because it is so soft and cuddly.  I HATE it for quilting because it stretches and slides while you quilt it.  Their is a little wrinkle of the green Minky on the back, but I don't think any one will care.

I liked how this one turned out and I hope Baby Carter will too!

Comments

  1. I really like the way the gold thread looks on the fuschia.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts