May Reading List

1. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison-- This book will make you reconsider how you see yourself and what you consider beauty.  I was reading it as a possible IB book for next year and I can't believe I hadn't read it before now.  It is not an easy book to get through in some places.  In typical Toni Morrison style, it gets right in your face about race, sexuality, and abuse.

2. Wizard of Earthsea (Book One) by Ursula K. LeGuin-- This is a fun YA fantasy book that deals with the idea of evil and where it comes from.  Does evil exit out side of us, or does all evil come from within us?  This is the question that LeGuin asks and answers in the first book of the series.  I can't wait to see what happens in book two and three.

3. One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde-- This series has given me and my husband hours of reading enjoyment.  I don't want to ruin it for you that haven't read it yet, but this book manages to take absurdest literature "full circle", if you will.  The kinder, gentler Thursday that was introduced a few books back take center stage to save her namesake.  In a personally interesting restructuring of Book World, NaNoWriMo is included on the new map, and there is a nod to other forms of self-published literature. 

Comments

Popular Posts