December Book List

This month it seemed that I was always at work.  For one reason or another, I was staying until 8 PM most nights. 

Somehow, I managed three books this month.  Two come with my highest recommendations and one with a very positive recommendation.  The fact that I managed to stay dedicated to the three even with the work load that I had, should say something itself.

So, here goes...

1. "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern-- This is one of the most creative, engrossing, innovative books that I have read.  The story is so magical and rich that you will be transported to a place that you never knew could exist.  The plot follows two story lines, two competitors who are playing a game that they don't know the rules to, and each must make choices which disrupt the nature of the game.  There is also many versions of love that color the story line.  Love is indeed one of the core motivators of the plot, but it is also the desire to follow dreams that makes this story such a great one.

2. "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde--  As many of you know, I am a big fan of Fforde's work in the "Thursday Next" series.  "Shades of Grey" is set up to be the first of a series.  This book is also slightly absurdest in nature, but not like the "Thursday" novels are.  In this world, people are in a color caste system.  The color you can see places you in a caste, and if you are a "grey" and can see little to no color, you are doomed to be a worker who is treated very poorly.  The main character, Eddie, discovers that there is a lot more going on than meets the eye.  This series is set up to be anti-utopian in message, but the first book does little more than set up the story.  A bit of a slog at times, but I've hope for the next book whenever that may come out.

3. "A Visit From the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan-- "Time is a goon", or so says two different characters in this novel.  This book is intriguing because each chapter is told in a different voice, at a different point in time, but, somehow, all of the points come together and create a full picture of civilization and humanity.  There are many great chapters, but my favorite is "12: Great Rock and Roll Pauses by Alison Blake".  This chapter is told as a Power point slide show.  Textually and visually, it is wonderfully interesting story telling.  I am also thrilled to discover it because I'm going to use it in my IB Language and Literature class as a new text type that has been created by the 21st Century.  This book took a short two days to read over Christmas break, and I was really sad to see it end.

Next month, I hope to have a longer list for you, but this one had some serious quality. 

Comments

Popular Posts