Proof That I Still Quilt

When I was in Chicago, I was able to make two lovely baby quilts.  One went to Lisa Bartee and one went to Jen McKee. 

I had a great time, thanks to Daddy Dan who was earning pro status with Harper, sitting and quilting the days away.  Comma even came and hung out with me like old times, keeping an eye on all of the detail work.  She is a great help when I start cutting and lining up the fabrics to see how they look. 


For those of you who have seen the quilts I did last summer for Harper and Oriana and Matt, you will have seen the colors (purples and aquas in that case) on the very modern white field which showcases the quilting. 


I liked those other quilts so much, I did something similar here in greens, browns, and some maroon.  There are little pops of brighter pinks that give some life to the otherwise manly browns. 

As I didn't have enough time to do my normal weeks of hunting for "just the right fabric", I was trying to use things that I had amassed in Turkey (thanks to the tailor and Matt!) and things that Ariel had in her stash bags.


Overall, I'm very pleased with how things turned out.  The little pops of hot pink and lime green play nicely off of the browns and white.  The quilting was done in graphic (and super fast and easy) straight lines running the width of the quilts. 

After I quilted the blankets, I gave them a super hot wash and super hot dry to make the fabric "pucker" and give the quilts some dimensionality. I also used some interesting to touch fabrics in places like corduroy so that the babies who will be using these quilts will find them interesting to lay on.

Comments

Popular Posts