Beer, The American Drink

My brother and I had a bonding experience in Boston.  We went to the Sam Adams Brewery for the tour and tasting.

I have some interesting feelings about the Sam Adams Beer people, but that is because I consider myself a PDX'er.  You may not know this, but the Mayor of Portland, Oregon, is a man named Sam Adams.  When he was running for office there was a little brew-ha-ha (pun in honor of my brother) about his name.  The brewery people tried to keep the mayoral candidate from infringing on their right to the name for advertizing.

Long story short, the courts found that Sam Adams, the Mayor, had the right to use his name on his campaign advertizements.  

So, for the reason, well... UN-reasoned, attempt to keep a good guy from using his own name, I was a bit "mehhh" about going and drinking the beer there.  But, the beer was free, so I went.

My awesome little brother.

I would recommend the tour to anyone over the age of 21.  The tour guides are great.  Ours, Mike, was energetic and had enough of a Boston brogue to be authentic "like the movies".  The information was educational, and I felt like I was watching a company that I could get behind.

We got to taste "top secret" new beers.

The wait was short for us, but it was a Thursday at noon.  You will want to read the tour info carefully to make sure you can get into the tasting before it closes for the day.  The one thing I wish we had time for was going to the pub down the street, which was the first client the brewery had, and getting a pint there.  When you go after the tour with your admission ticket, you get a free pint glass.

Me and Miah with our taster glasses.

Comments

Popular Posts