Must Eats in Boston


Before I left Turkey for the summer, my friend Patti, a true Bostonian, gave me some recommendations of places to eat.  I got to say, she did not steer me wrong.  I only regret that I did not have time to get to all of the places she named for me.

The first one I went to was "The Sail Loft".  It is a one off place that sits on the water in North Boston.  Entering the place you get an immediate feeling of hominess and welcome.  I sat at the bar and had a bowl of Boston Clam Chowder and a few beers.  The chowder was the best I have ever had and I would go back if I ever have the chance.


The second winner that Patti put me on to is Modern Pastry.  This is the place you want to go if you want some amazing cannoli.  Earlier in the day, I was walking around at Quincy Market and I had a cannoli there, at a to be unnamed bakery, and it was not good.  The shell was thick and flowery, the filling was flavorless and too thick.


First off is the experience of being in Modern Pastry.  It's a hole in the wall shop that, according to a regular that chatted me up in line, normally has an hour wait to get INSIDE of the shop, let alone up to the counter to order.  Once inside, you'll wait a bit to get your order because the fill the cannoli on order so that the shell does not get soggy.

Secondly, the taste was amazing.  The shell was light, crisp, and buttery.  The cream was rich without being heavy.  After trying the cannoli in Quincy Market, I thought I was over it for good.  But having the cannoli at Modern Pastry has made me a believer in the delicious possibility that it can be.


In the same area as Modern Pastry, you will find The Paul Revere House.  So, stop and get a picture under the sign.


The Boston sky line with us mugging for the camera during our day of exploring the North End.

I've got three more places on my list of places to eat from Patti, and I intend on getting to them some day.  Maybe next summer when I head back for another visit with Jessie and Miah, I'll have an eating day and get to the lobster roll that I'm mad that I never got to.  You gotta have goals, right?

Comments

Popular Posts