Dusseldorf

I'm learning a bit about what I like as a tourist. 

I like places with lots of old stuff to look at.  Churches, markets, buildings, and statues make for a good start.  I also like places with lots of cafes to sit in, and one off shops to browse. 

I am not particularly fond of big industrial cities with an H and M on every corner.  That's most of what I've got here. 

Part of it is that this city, Dusseldorf, was pretty well destroyed in WWII and much of it has been rebuilt.  What that means is that all of the older buildings, the kind that I would like, have been replaced with construction from the mid 20th century.  Nothing exciting in that time period for me.

That said, today I'm going to the 20th century art museum to look at Picasso and Jackson Pollack paintings.  I'm also planning on going into a church or two, it is Sunday after all, and looking at the rose windows.

I also have some teacher's bane to deal with before tomorrow: Exams to grade.  I've got 14 left and would like to bang them out today. 

Comments

Popular Posts