Another Quilt Done

This little bitty quilt is for a yet-to-be-named Imus. Holly and Colin are expecting and I made this baby quilt for the little bugger. It is a new type of quilting for me because it uses finished circles that are sewn together to make the pattern.


I'm not sure if I like how much fabric this type of quilt eats up. Circles, any curve really, tend to take twice to three times the fabric to cover the same area of a square or rectangle. The sweet thing about this is I did not ever piece a curve. Yes, I sewed curves, but I never cut a curved line and then sewed it. I drew a ton of circles on fabric, sewed the guide line, and then cut the salvage away.

This is the reverse of the above shot.


This is what the "petals" look like up close. Even thought the red circle looks like it intersects with the spaceship block, it doesn't. I'm hoping to have some more of these cut out so that I can show Miah how this works during our sewing lesson in Spokane.


If you think you spotted this fabric before, you did. This is the same fabric that I used in Benyamin's quilt. When I look at the photos of each quilt, I'm starting to learn how pattern and fabric choices can make or break a quilt.

Comments

  1. I had the same thought about the circle quilts eating up fabric. I am not sure I'd want to do a whole big one because of how much fabric you'd need. You would definitely have to have a plan for all the corners you cut off.. except that with my very inexact method for producing the original squares (ripping), I didn't have consistent corners.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts