FIsh Eye Fun

I've got a new toy.  Maybe you don't know this about me, but I really like the look of lomography.  Lomography is a style of photography marked by 170 degree viewing and it is also known as "Fish Eye" photography.

Lomography cameras that are affordable take film, so then you have the developing cost and film cost.  I wanted an affordable option for my point and shoot digital camera and there just wasn't anything on the market for me.  Lenses for Adam's SLR would have run $500-$600, so that was out as well. 

As you can see, a solution has been found!  My darling husband, Adam, bought me a peep hole.  That's right, a peep hole.  Using the $15 peep hole, the kind you put into doors, I can now get the effect I want!  This first shot was taken by Adam to show me how effective the re-purposed gadget is.  I think it works well.

There is a hazard.  The peep hole is metal, and heavy, and metal.  In the first five minutes of using this set-up in the house, my shutter cover shattered when, not in my hands, the peep hole collided with the shutter cover.  Whoops!  Adam was sufficiently guilty and will be making restitution accordingly.  He started two nights ago by making cookies.

This is Grace Mace.  She is my niece via Adam's sister, Heather.  I think she is totally adorable!

Check out all of the freckles on these faces. 

These pictures were taken with care on Adam's point and shoot.  I am getting the hang of focusing through the peep hole, but it takes some effort and patience.  The look of the shot can get wonky quickly if you are off center at all.  The pictures of the girls are with no zoom on the lens.  The picture of the flower is with full zoom.



This is Olivia.  She and Grace are twins.  They are nearly seven and impressed the heck out of me during our visit by reading to me out of "A Secret Garden" and "A Little Princess".  I was worried these books would be too difficult for them right now, but they are just right. 

The girls also LOVED their dresses, headbands, and all of the other books I picked out for them.  I'm sure they will soon be asking for more "Ramona Quimby" and "Ralph S. Mouse" stories!


I think the peep hole is a wonderfully re-purposed tool, if you can keep a steady hand.  I know I'll be posting more shots in the future with this technique, just because I think it is fun.  

Comments

  1. I am glad you found a way to get those lomography shots! Your pictures are of much better quality then mine :]

    I hope everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts