Too Good to be JUST Sci-Fi

I have a new addiction.  "Battlestar Galactica" is that new addiction. 

The show, produced by the SyFy channel, aired for four seasons, three of which were massive at 20 episodes per season!  I'm hooked.  I'm at Season 3 episode 5 and am both wanting to watch it in a marathon fashion and dreading when it will run out. 

At first, I thought it would be some geeky (not that I'm above geeky) show that would fall short of really good TV.  But some of our friends here continued to press us with how wonderful they thought it was, and over the break I became a convert. 

Here is the deal.  Yes, the show is about humans and robot/humanoids that are in a space war.  Yes, the show uses Star Wars-esque base ships and X-Wing Fighter type ships.  Yes, the show uses made up words (Frack!).

The show is also about war, human desires, and discrimination.  Many of the plot points remind me of racism and equality issues that continue to haunt the US. 

You can see the official web page here

If you like good TV, and I mean good like Mad Men is good, you should check it out.

Comments

  1. I try so hard to get non-geeks to watch BSG but none of them seem to take my advice. They just don't know what they're missing. I've mentioned to Kari and Chris that the series in it's entirety is streaming on Netflix, but they still wont try it.

    Anyway, wait till season 4...

    Admiral Adama FTW!

    -Jeff Keller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff-- I agree that they have no idea what they are missing. BSG is one of the best shows I have ever seen, and my husband is hooked now too, and he is about as anti-sci-fi as they get. I'll work on Kari from my side and maybe she will get in on the BSG soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts