Baby and "The Bean"

This summer, there was a ton of traveling in my life.

One of my grand destinations was Chicago and some serious tourist action.  I've now been to the city three times to visit A and this is the first time I've managed to see any of the stuff in the city.

Before we made it to "The Bean" there was a detour to a Chicago classic: Garrett Popcorn Shops.  On one of my trips, Linda opened my eyes to the wonder that is the Chicago Mix: Caramel corn and cheddar corn all mixed together.  Salty and sweet together is a small taste of heaven.  Get a tin to share and another one to hide for yourself, it's that good.

The belly of "The Bean"

"The Bean" with the Chicago downtown

Then we had some "Bean" action.  Turns out the sculpture is not really called "The Bean".  Instead it's proper name is "Cloud Gate" and it was designed by Anish Kapoor.  You can read about it here.  It's pretty great watching people play in "The Bean" and see the reflections play on its surface. 

The "Spitters" in Millennium Park, Chicago, Il, USA
Not far from "The Bean" there are these two towers that are made of glass blocks on one side that have the faces of children that move.  The kids' faces smile and then they spit water out into the zero depth play area.  Like "The Bean", "The Spitters" have a different proper name.  This fun sculpture goes by the name "Crown Fountain" and you can read about it here

A and H in a moment of complete joy

What I learned with my day of Chicago sightseeing was that Chicagoans are really literal in the names they use.  "Cloud Gate" and "Crown Fountain"?  Pish-posh... It's "The Bean" and "The Spitters", thank you very much.

Comments

  1. I'm stealing this pic and plastering it everywhere! Thanks for the visit and the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can put it where ever you would like! I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts