Summer Reading List (part one)

I admit, I am a lazy bum when it comes to keeping up with my blogging when I am on vacation.  Because of my general tendency to laze about this summer and spend most of my time hanging out with Adam, I'm remiss (again) with my book review list. 

So let's just get to it, okay?

Starting way back in May (sure... May is a summer month.  Didn't you know that *wink* *nudge*):

1. My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares-- This love story is one that transcends time, but only one person of the couple is able to retain the memory of it from life to reincarnated life.  I liked this one because (1) it is written well, (2) it's a love story and Adam had left so I was wanting some love-ish, sappy stories, and (3) it is about reincarnation but with a Western perspective.  It's a good YA chick book if that's what you like.

2. How I Made it to 18: A Mostly True Story by Tracy White--  This graphic novel traces the life of a girl who seems to be unable to keep living.  She is self-destructive in all of the ways that are really horrible in the modern world: addicted to drugs, horrible boys, and eating disorders.  I liked it because it is quick to read (did I say it's a graphic novel?) and the drawings gave me more to think about than the written text at times.  I think there are tons of GN's out there for boys, and I was tickled pink to see one dealing with issues targeted at girls.

3. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro--  This book is not for people who like simple story telling.  That said, I was really glad that I kept with this one to the end.  The story telling gives glimpses of life as a teen and life as an elderly person, and it is the contrast between the two that is interesting here.  The abandon and recklessness of youth is contrasted with the resignation and patience of those who know better.  This is not a happy book, but it is one that will make you think about your own life.

4. Buried by Robin Merrow MacCready-- This book asks what happens when a parent and child's role is topsy-turvy.  The answer is that no one is okay.  Moms should not be looked after by their daughters, at least not when the daughter is only 17 and a senior in high school.  This is a quick read in part because the writing is lacking a bit of that certain something. 

5. My Abandonment by Peter Rock-- Honestly, the only reason I picked this one up is because it is set in Portland, Oregon, and I was missing my home.  Happily, this turned out to be one of the better books of the summer in terms of message and teach-ability.  This book questions what role society has to determine the life style of others.  Can society tell a person that he can not be homeless and have children? Can society dictate how a person learns? Can people be forced to go to traditional school?  Is it a crime to not report an accidental death? How does ones past shape the future?  All of these things are in this little gem.  I think it would be a great book for a high school literature class or a teen book club. 

6. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris-- This is #12 in the series, 'nuf said.

7. 50 Shades of Gray by E. L. James-- It's a romance novel.  Don't expect it to be a Pulitzer Prize winner, okay? It's not really as dirty as people would have you believe.  It's mostly a girl, who has never had sex and who has barely been kissed, complaining about her life and how hard it is to graduate from college.  Go in to it knowing it was "Twilight" fan-fiction and you will be able to predict the ending with no problem.

8. 50 Shades Darker by E. L. James-- Again, not great writing, but that's not the point of a romance novel is it?  If anything, the writing gets worse than the first one and the sex gets more mundane.

9. 50 Shades Freed by E. L. James-- There is barely any sex in this novel and the writing is even worse than the second one.  You will cringe in shame as you continue to turn the pages hoping to get to one more racy bit before it's over.

10.  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green-- This may have been my favorite book of the summer.  (1) I'm a big fan of John Green-- he's a great writer and can tell a serious story.  His character development is outa this world.  (2) This is a book about cancer kids told from the kid's point of view.  It's a fresh perspective in the YA area and I think it teaches empathy without hitting you on the head about minorities or gender bias.  This would also be a great novel for a class read or a teen book group. 

I have nine more books to review (ya... I read 19 books between May and August), but I'll do that at a later date.  Ta for now.

Comments

Popular Posts