Baccone Dolce

My favorite desert on this planet is the Baconne Dolce from Papa Hayden's in Portland, Oregon. 

Hands down, it is one of the best things that you can put in your mouth. (I also love the gray sea salt caramels from "Fran's" in Seattle, Washington, but that is a sweet, not technically a dessert.)

Because I never got around to getting there this summer (I had way too few days in PDX), I decided to make it for myself.

Thanks to the magic of the internet, I found this recipe attributed to the restaurant that I love so much.  I must say, it turned out okay for my first attempt. 






Here is what I learned for next time:

  1. Pack each layer with fruit-- each piece should be touching on all sides
  2. Don't put whipped cream on top-- it makes it soggy 
  3. Don't use cheap Turkish chocolate syrup-- melt the expensive stuff that will harden and not add to the sog factor
  4. Frozen berries should be thawed and then mopped of extra moisture-- again, the sog issue
  5. Making meringue on a muggy day takes a freaking long time-- try it when the weather is dryer, or turn the A/C on to the "dry" feature to help the process along
  6. It does not keep over night once assembled-- you can make the meringue layers the day before, but don't assemble the bad boy until right before you eat it
  7. It's a pain in the ass to cut-- I have NO IDEA how the people at Papa Hayden's make it look so easy.  They are magicians!
Go to it people.  This one is worth the effort to make in your own kitchen!

Comments

Popular Posts