Dumb Luck

A few days ago, I flew from Istanbul to JFK on my way back to Seattle for Christmas.  I had a great seat on the plane, 53 B.  I was in the last row of the plane, on the aisle, and right next to the rear bathroom. 

Now, I've made this journey several times in the last few years, and I know that being that far in the back is not really the most awesome seat to have.  I also know that sitting right next to the bathroom may not be the best seat in the house.

As I was getting settled in, my seat partner arrived.  She was a middle aged lady, and she wanted to ask me something, but she had no English and my Turkish is not that great.  Calling over the flight attendant, she explained things to him, and he relayed it to me. 

She wanted to know if I would trade seats with her mother.  Her mother was sitting in business class. 

Evidently, sitting alone for a long flight was something scary for this little old lady, and she would rather sit in the cheep seats with her daughter, than in the nicer section alone. 

I had no problem trading seats with this lady, but now I think making the flight between continents is going to be a lot harder.  It wasn't just the food that was improved-- and I was flying Turkish Airlines which has some of the which as the best airline food in the world--it was the fact that I had enough leg room and my legs did not turn into swollen sausages.  Having those few more inches was magical.

Looking at the cost of the tickets, I will likely never buy a seat for myself, but I will work on getting enough points for an upgrade!

I don't know what the lady's name was, but I sure hope she knows that she made my day by trading seats with me!

Comments

Popular Posts