October and November Reading List

1. "Daughter of Smoke and Bone"  by Laini Taylor-- This book is an interesting take on the alternate universe/angel/demon story line.  It has a bit of the "Golden Compass" magic door to elsewhere, and questions the difference between monsters and angels (and if beauty can hide the real monster).  This is a great read for a rainy weekend if you are an adult, or a good choice for a middle school/high school student.

2. "Days of Blood and Starlight" by Laini Taylor--  After I read the first one in this series, I had to get on-line and get the Nook version of the second volume in the series.  If that's not a good recommendation from me, I don't know what is.  This volume ceases on the apprentice becoming the master story, the stepping-up and filling shoes too big for you, and we've all felt overwhelmed at times like this protagonist does.  We've also been blinded by what we thought we were suppose to do, and failed to stick to our guns.... I can't wait to read the third book in the series next year and see what other life lessons I can pick-up on.

3. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn-- This is a twisted book.  I was surprised several times by this murder mystery come psychological thriller come love story.  The story telling is great, the characters both likeable and loathsome, and the commentary on modern life is eye-opening and terrifying all at once.  If you don't like books that make you uncomfortable or question your closely held beliefs, don't read this.

4. "This Body of Death" by Elizabeth George-- I love the "Inspector Lynley" series that Ms. George has created.  Here, Lynley is suckered back to work at Scotland Yard after his wife's murder.  This is one of the more emotionally interesting books in the series because it deals with love and loss and the idea of moving on and not knowing if it's really okay to do so.  Havers, his trusted co-worker, has a developing story that I'm really into, so that was a bonus for me.

5.  "Believing the Lie" by Elizabeth George--   This is book 16 in the series and I have loved every one.  The Havers story line is great, but it left me wanting to know more RIGHT NOW!

6. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky--  Confession.... I wanted to read this simply because I want to see the movie, but I hate the people who have only ever seen the movie and not taken the time to read the book.  As a person who hates, HATES, "Catcher in the Rye" and Holden Caulfield, the angst-filled, life is so hard, high school novel makes me a bit sick.  This story, however, rings true to me where Holden is just a bit to "phony" and historically distant from 21st C. life.  Charlie has just as many issues as Holden, but Chbosky's execution of the story is better.  Don't just watch the movie people.

Comments

Popular Posts