September 21-- "H" Day and Sewing

I've known a bit more than a week that September 21 will be the day of my next ablation. I am hating how weak this damn thing makes me feel in that I can't work out like I'd like, can't go to ballet classes yet, and generally feel like a lump. Not that I typically am active in a crazy way in the summer-- too many bugs and allergens floating about-- but I'm not normally this stationary. Hopefully, this is the last time things need to mucked about with in there.

To get my mind off of the ablation I have been sewing. I finished, mostly finished, my first quilt top. I have purchased the batting and the backing and will figure out how to assemble the thing with my mom this next weekend in Spokane. I'm holding off on attaching the last little boarder on the top because I'm afraid I miscalculated the amount of fabric for the backing and may need to keep the top as is. Here are some pictures so you can see what I've done so far. Each large square is 12 inches, so you can get a sense of the scale. The whole thing is suppose to be 70 X 82 inches when I'm done.


This is most of the blocks. It is covering a dinning table that can fit 6 easily.


Here is one of the blocks up close. All of the squares in the quilt are different, and I had a good time figuring out which fabrics I wanted in each block.


This fabric of the fashion girls makes me think of Kim C. and The Car Pool. I will miss that this year.

So, overall, quilting is not that bad so far. You will notice that I haven't actually FINISHED anything yet as I make this claim, so I may change my mind. And I also haven't sewn a single triangle or curved line which may also be a reason to change my opinion of quilting. I do know that I really, REALLY, like to buy fabric and this sort of thing gives me a reason to buy a 1/4 yard instead of enough for an entire garment. I have found a shop that does machine quilting and rents time on the machines. This means I don't need to hand quilt the top through the layers, and this will make the finishing process much faster. I'll post some more shots if it ever gets there.

Comments

Popular Posts