Whidbey Island

One of the most restful places I know is Whidbey Island. Specifically, my Auntie Linda's house outside of Langley, WA. Two weeks ago I went up for the weekend and had a wonderful time hanging out and resting before my ablation. Linda is the type of auntie I hope to be for my nieces and nephew, and the type of hostess I aspire to be for my guests. Here are some photos of the ferry ride.



This is the lighthouse, taken from the ferry.

This is a view of the island from the far shore.
This is me in my new red Monkey Fleece.


One of the neat places to hang out on the island is called Useless Bay Coffee Co. I loved everything about the location and I thought Ariel could twist dad's arm to make some seating like they have for her shop one day. The covered awning is for musicians to use for open mic night, and the other little covered seating areas reminded me of mushrooms: a bit Smurf-ish, but cute.


The big doors can slide to one side and opens the whole shop up to the air. I can see this being useful on super hot days, or on days when the baker burns a batch of cookies. You can't really see it, but on the right side of the building there is a speaker so if you are sitting outside when they call your name for your coffee, you can hear the barista.


As this is the sound and it rains on a regular basis here, this awning also makes for lots of outdoor seating when it's raining. I really enjoy how it feels like a little amphitheater.



The location has paths and flowers EVERYWHERE. If you follow the paths to the rear of the building you find a garden that is used to make the salads in the shop as well as herbs that spice up the dishes.



This is Linda and I just before I left for the mainland.


When you can, you should run away to a place as restful as Auntie Linda's. I love her stories about being in the Navy, living in England, and growing up with my dad. She calls him Glenny, which makes me smile to remember that my dad was once a youngster with a sister who gave him silly nicknames. She is also totally in love with her grandson, Evan, in the same way that dad is in love with Ben and will love Cicilia when she arrives this week.

I guess that is the nice thing about family. I had not seen Linda for years, but she did not hesitate when I suggested a visit, and we had a great time together. I just need to make sure I don't wait so long for the next visit.

Comments

  1. What a great trip. And I love the coffee shop. That awning is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts