May Reading List

This has been a busy month of reading!  Some how I have managed to read nine books, be in a ballet, go to Spokane twice, finish a baby quilt, make invitations for a bridal shower, make three skirts, and nearly piece together another entire (couch snuggle size) quilt.  I would have thought this was impossible with all of the other day to day living things a person must do.

Anyway, for the reading list:

1. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde-- I really love the character Thursday Next.  This is her debut novel and the third book in the series I have read.  I love that I can read these books in any old order.  The fact that Ms. Next time travels AND travels through fictional books are factors that help in the read in "any old order".

2. Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present by Hank Stuever-- A non-fiction look at what is going on with America and the holiday called Christmas.  Stuever look at one Texas town and follows several people over three years through the insanity that takes place between Black Friday and New Year's Day.  Interesting and made me think, but I was also appalled by what Texans think is a normal Christmas dole for children!

3. Push by Sapphire-- It's as depressing and hard to read as you thought it would be, but you should read it.

4. Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde-- Another Thursday Next novel.  This is #4 in the series.  I learned a lot of the secrets about Landen and Granny Next that might ruin reading the second one for me, but I doubt it.  These books have me giggling at night before going to sleep.

5. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley-- I borrowed this from Ariel on night when sleep was impossible and I had finished "The Eyre Affair" while I was in Spokane.  OMG the main character, Flavia de Luce is a kick in the pants.  Quoting Ariel, "She is what I think Nancy Drew mysteries are like."  My response was, "You haven't read Nancy Drew?!?" but then I agreed with her estimation of Miss de Luce's character.  Only, I like Flavia more than I ever liked Nancy.

6 and 7. Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery-- I loved the PBS movie when I was young, so I thought I'd read the books.  It's not all that often that you find a Canadian novelist with a book set on Prince Edward Island that makes it into a classic.  Anne is what I remembered her to be, only more likable.  I may end up getting this set for the girls to read soon.

8. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson-- The third one in the series, which I have been dying to read since Ariel got one of the British printing copies months ago, and I loved it as much as I loved the other two.  What, you haven't read any of the book by Larsson? You must be dead.

9. Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris-- The TENTH book in the Sookie Stackhouse series.  This is not good, didactic fiction.  It's a vacation for your head.  Something akin to what a candy bar is in your diet: totally unnecessary, but awfully good at times!  This is another glimpse into the dealings of Vampires, Were-Wolfs, Shifters of all kinds, and Faries... I was a bit surprised by what happened with Bill's story line in this one.

Some of these I need to read again (The Girl), some of these I can read again and again (Thursday Next), and some of these I should have never read to begin with so I don't think they will be on the list again!

Now get out there and read something!

Comments

  1. I'm glad you posted this, as I will remember now to go read some Nancy Drew!

    Not that you need any help finding books, but I just picked one up called Little Giant of Aberedeen County by Tiffany Baker. It's her first novel. If you read Geek Love, you might find this interesting, as the main character, Truely, has growth issues because of a whack pituitary gland.

    And, your quilt looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts