Kuaför

Today, after work was over at 5 pm, I ran into two of my new teacher friends who were headed out to get a hair cut.  They invited me along and I went to see what it was all about.

When we arrived at the "kuaför" not more than three minutes later and Oreanna set about asking for a shampoo and hair cut for the three of us.  Shampoo in Turkish sounds like shampoo, so that one was not hard.  The hair cut part involved her holding up her split ends and miming a scissors with fingers.  Effective, if crude.

Now, just so you know, Turkish women love their hair and their hair dresser.  They may go to the beauty salon to get a set twice or three times a week and think nothing of it.  Women here have thick, dark, heavy hair and it is just too much work to curl it all for most...  Really, if it were me, I may have a hard time just getting it dry by myself and forget curling it all.


My cut started with a brief rinse at the shampoo bowl to get the sweat off of my head and what else I am not sure.  The girl did use a bit of shampoo, but only on the ends of my hair, not the scalp.  The hair cut was quick and efficient, but the stylist (a man) first hassled me about touching up my roots.

I was not about to let this man touch my hair with dye before I assessed his ability to give a simple cut.  He did fine with the length, but tried to talk me into bangs... No thank you.

After the cut, I went back to the shampoo bowl for a really good scrub and then got a blow out, nice and straight.  I am happy with the results, but tomorrow I am going to the other local salon to see what they are like.  I was thinking I'd get some crazy french braids done like one of the ladies on campus gets.  Not that the braids will last past the weekend, but I'd get an idea of what the ladies are like and how much things cost.

I'll let you know how that plays out for me.

I also went to the tailor today.  I'll relate that story when it plays all the way out.  I need to find some fabric for a dress he is going to copy for me.  That should be a good story regardless of the product!

Comments

  1. So if Turkish women go get their hair styled three times a week, is it pretty cheap?

    If you go get crazy french braids done, take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fantastic experiment! And what fun! I agree with Lisa, pictures of the braids.

    Oh, and Doyle says hello. :) He was shocked and happy you were getting out in the world, and to Turkey of all places. He seems exactly the same - good ol' Doyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hairdresser is extremely inexpensive here. The Haircut I got yesterday, with a blowout and shampoo, was 20TL (about 13USD). I'll let you know how much the braiding is after I find out myself. Lisa-- you would never have a wonky hair day here because it is so affordable to have a good one!

    There is a woman here (an American) who said, "going back to the states this summer was the first time I washed my own hair in over a year". She gets her hair washed and set two or three times a week, and this seems to be the common thing for Turkish women.

    I'll make sure I get pictures too!

    Tell Kevin I say "hi" and hope all is well in his world. (And I do still think of him as Kevin, not Doyle.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts