Forks is for Fans!

This summer I finally broke down and did something that I have been wanting to do for a long time: The Twilight Tour of Forks, Washington.  I know, I know-- I am a grown woman, so what business do I have visiting a town where a YA book is set?  I can't explain WHY I wanted to go, not really, but I did.

Here is how the tour went down:

I asked my mother-in-law if she might want to drive out to Forks with me on the last weekend that I was staying in the Seattle area.  She, not knowing really what she was getting into, agreed.  So on a somewhat overcast, but not raining, Sunday, we set out.

Stop number one: The Forks, Wa, Welcome sign.  This picture was taken as we left the town because the town kind of sneaks up on you after such a long drive to get there.  I will say that the drive is beautiful, and I strongly recommend it even if you are not a Twilight fan.


Stop number two: The Visitor's Center on the far side of town.  This is a good stop for a variety of reasons.

The visitor's center has both of Bella's trucks parked out front.  The one that I am pictured with is the one that is in the book, but it has the license plate on it that was used on the truck, to my left, that was used in the movie.

In the visitor's center you will meet a lady named Raianne (sp) who jsut might be the book's biggest fan.  She knows everything about the books and about the movies.  She will also give you a map of Forks that has step by step driving directions to get to all of the places in the following pictures.


Stop number three: The Swan's House.  This house is lived in by real people, not the Swan's, so be nice when you stop to take pictures here.


Stop number four: Carlisle's parking space at the local medical clinic.


Stop number five: Forks High School.  This is not the school building that is described in the book or the one pictured in the movie.  Sadly, Washington State has some pretty harsh rules for making movies and none of the places used in the film are actually in Washington.  The reason that this school is not the one described in the book is a good one: The old one was knocked down for safety issues and a new one is being built.  Yeah for crazy tourists who generate local tax dollars!


After we took this picture, we walked across the street to one of the many Twilight themed stores in town.  Raianne told us that it was worth it to look at them all, as each has slightly different stuff.  She was right, and I think the shop across from the school has the best stuff.

Stop number six: The Forks Police Station.  Here I an with Charlie's car.


Stop number seven: The Cullen House.  Or rather, the house that inspired the Cullen house.  It's really a bed and breakfast.  I would imagine that the most die hard of fans can stay here if they book far enough in advance.  If you don't get a booking, you can go up on the porch and read a message from Esme.

Stop number eight: The Treaty Line.  If you don't know what this is, I'm not going to tell you.  You can, however, see what side I'd be on form my t-shirt.


Stop number nine: First Beach.  This is the beach where Jacob Black first tells Bella about "the cold ones".  The fog started to roll in as we were there and it was a bit creapy.


All in all, I was surprised how long of a day it was.  Vicki and I did not dilly-dally, but it took us about five hours to go to all of the spots and look through the stores.  That, on top of the drive from the house, made it a very full day!

I don't think Vicki knew what she agreed to, but we had a good time and she ended the day saying that she might try reading the books and seeing what all the fuss is about.  Raianne had told us that the majority of visitors are middle aged women, not teens.  I don't know what that says about me.


We also stopped at some of the sights in Port Angeles, WA, where Bella goes shopping for a fancy dress and ends up eating dinner with Edward.  The restaurant was closed when we were there, so I did not eat there (funny how small towns are like that on Sunday).

 This last one might be my favorite picture of the day.  You can see the house a bit in the back, but the name is on the mail box nicely.


Comments

  1. I won't hold Twilight against you, because you're so kindly allowing us to warp the young minds of your students:) Kidding. Thanks, by the way! We're flattered, though I hope none of your students takes our jibber jabber too seriously. What kind of school is it, high school? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a private high school for Turkish Nationals. One of the reasons I did the Twilight Tour is to give me something to tell the girls who read the book about here. With the last movie coming out this school year, I thought I might earn a cool point or two.

    I'm sure the some of the students will take you seriously, but most of them will get the humor!

    Thanks A Beer for the Shower.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts