Summer-ish Reading List

I pretty much suck.

I realized some time ago that I have not been keeping up with one of my favorite aspects of my blog: the book review and reading list.  I love sharing about the books that I read, but for some reason this summer things have gotten away from me.

You might be thinking, "Summer? Doesn't she know this is the end of OCTOBER?"

Well, I do know that, but it's still about 75 degrees here in Tarsus, and in my mind that is still summer. A PNW summer, but summer nonetheless.

Now to remember what I have been reading...

A quick check of my past posts reveals that the last time I talked about books was the 3 of June, so I have nearly 5 mints to get up to speed on. YEASH!

1. Googled: The end of the world as we know it by Ken Auletta: This is a story of how Google changed from a proper noun to a verb.  It was pretty interesting to me because I was thinking about how to structure a class 100% on-line and this book helped me to know more about what I was getting into.  Not that it helped me to structure the class, but it helped me to think about hte web in a different way.

2. With No One as Witness by Elizabeth George: You may know that I have a thing for murder mysteries.  Like most people who read murder mysteries, I have a favorite few authors that I am faithful to.  Elizabeth George is one of the writers that I really enjoy, and her Inspector Lindley series is one of my personal weaknesses, as you will see.  In this book, and we are in the double digits in the series, Inspector Lindley suffers a huge personal tragedy which will change the books.  I read it on the flight from Turkey to the States, and I don't think I slept at all on the trip, that's how good it was.

3. What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth George: I picked this one up in the airport on my way to Philly this summer for Josh and Krista's wedding.  I was enjoying "With No One as Witness" so much that I had, HAD, to have the next book for the flight.  This book is a pre-quell to "With No One as Witness" and tells a story about characters that really don't have much of a role in the Lindley mysteries.  This group of characters is really an analysis of how poverty impacts lives in developed nations.  Reading this book, you see how little choice some kids have when they face violence, crime, and drugs.  Reading it as a teacher, I really wanted to help the characters.  Reading it as a Lindley fan, I was a bit frustrated because I wanted more Havers and Lindley.

4. Careless in Red by Elizabeth George:  In case you lost count, this is the third George novel on my summer list.  I told you I love her books!  This novel picks up the Lindley story line in a slightly different way.  Lindley is suffering from his personal loss still, but he finds a dead body (it is a MURDER mystery...) and gets sucked in to solving it.  Lindley is not quite himself in this novel, but that is due to the recovery...  I'm hoping that the next novel will have him back at the Yard working with Havers again like always.

5. Graceling by Kristin Cashore: This novel runs parallel to "Fire" which I reviewed here.  This book is fascinating.  Ariel got it for me as I was leaving the States this summer and I had it finished by the time I landed in Turkey.  The "Gracelings" have special powers and the main character makes you want to hurt people who are after her.  This is another strong female main character who breaks down gender roles that little girls tend to create for themselves.  In the same vein as Katniss in "The Hunger Games" this is a good book for girls who need to see themselves without petty issues and backstabbing.

There will be more to come as I can remember the titles.

I did get a handy Nook, so I just need to look at what is on my book shelf to see what I'm forgetting.   



Comments

Popular Posts