February Reading List

As I look at the list of books that I read this month, I realize that I was deflecting. I should have been using some of this reading energy to finish WRITING my NaNoWriMo manuscript so that I can edit it and then claim my prize of a published book. Ack.

I'll try and focus a bit better this month and follow through with my plan to get the 'script to Ariel ASAP in its first completed incarnation.

1. "The Broken Bridge" by Philip Pullman-- This is a good book for strong chapter readers. You know who I mean: the 8-11 year olds out there. Pulman is one of my favorite authors, but this is not up to the enjoyment level that I expect from him for adult readers.

2. "Love and Peaches" by Jodi Lynn Anderson-- The third book in a series. I skipped right over the second book, because it was checked out at the library, and didn't really miss anything. The girls in this book are still strong, and still interesting, but the plotline lacked something when I compare it to the first one. Take this series to the beach with you for some light entertainment.

3. "Raven's Gate: The Gatekeepers" by Anthony Horowitz-- This series has some potential. A young boy whose parents died in a car crash is placed into foster care after his aunt proves unable to care for him. In this foster care, something is amiss. He finds himself trapped in a Twilight Zone-ish town where all of the roads loop back to where they start. He seeks help, and finds a trial of information that may lead someplace interesting in the next book. It made me curious to see what is going to happen.

4. "Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox" by Eoin Colfer-- I started reading this series several years ago and picked this one up just to see where the story line had gotten to. Artemis Fowl has tried to grow up a bit, and is trying to save his mother in this book. He makes good choices, and he also makes mistakes that, with the help of his friends, he is able to overcome. This is an adventure series that would be good for middle school or early high school boys.

5. "Wicked Lovely" by Melissa Marr-- Sometimes, even when you follow the rules, you get screwed. This is a story about a girl who has followed the rules her entire life, and still she manages to get into trouble. She can see fairies and knows that they are cruel and vicious. When they begin to take an interest in her, just when she starts to fall in love, the shit hits the fan. In this book, you see a girl who doesn't want to be involved in something, but knows that not choosing is still a choice and she figures out a way to embrace responsibility without destroying what she loves.

6. "Climbing the Stairs" by Padma Venkatraman-- This book is set in India during WWII. The main character is a girl who wants desperately to go to college, but knows that she will most likely be married off and start having children before that can happen. When her father tells her that he knows of her dream, and promises it to her, things look up for a moment, only to be quickly thwarted. This book is how this girl refuses to give up who she is to make other people happy in a culture where girls are expected to do what they are told.

7. "Fire" by Kristin Cashore-- My recommendation for this book is simple: I was riding the train home from Pilates on Saturday and I missed my stop. In fact, I did not look up from my book until I was leaving the stop after my stop, and then I had to rid all the way to the end of the line, buy a new ticket, and return home. This added about an hour to my travel time. This fantasy world of monster creatures, animals that we know but in day-glow colors, had me fixed to my pages. The main character, Fire, is a monster human with the ability to read and influence minds. She knows enough about the abuse of power to be fearful of using hers too much, but those around her seek her help to win a war. The characters and story telling is well done.

Comments

Popular Posts