Late St. Patty's Day Feast

You may not know this about me, but I love to cook.  When I have a bad day, Adam has been known to say, "Why don't you bake something?" because he knows that the process of being in the kitchen can make me forget whatever bad thing happened that day.

11 days ago I took on a project that I never thought I would: I corned my own beef.

Now, as dirty as that sounds, it really wasn't that exciting.  I used a recipe from Alton Brown, made the fancy brine, and then spent the next 10 days asking Adam if he remembered to "flip the beef" in the refrigerator so the brine would cover all parts of the brisket. 

Last night we cooked the experiment. 

It was a process, and, as Adam did not realize that the cooking process would take nearly four hours, we did not eat dinner until nearly 10 o'clock.  The first step, boiling the beef, takes about an hour and a half, but then there is the baking of the glaze in the oven for another 40-45 minutes. 

It was dubbed "a bit salty, but I'd do it again" by Adam, and I must say that I agree.  I think the saltiness could be solved by rinsing the beef well before boiling it, as Adam just threw it in the pot.  I would also boil it a bit longer, make sure we trimmed the fat off the meat a bit better, and cut the boiling water with clear water before boiling the potatoes, carrots, onion, and cabbage.  The veggies were way to salty after bathing in the briny water left from the beef.

It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts