May and June Reading List 2013

Have I told you all that I love my Nook?  Here is another reason why: it saves a record of everything I've read, in order (if I want it to), which makes it WAY easier to tell you all about them later!


1. "The Gift" by James Patterson and Ned Rust-- This book has a different co-writer than the first in the series did and I could really tell.  The characters are slightly different on the page, and not in a good way.  The plot becomes really slow and the big showdown between good and evil never takes place.  The opening scene from book one still has not taken place in the timeline of the book and a slight love connection is building, but with no real place to go.  Ack, a few days wasted on this one.

2. "Dead Ever After" by Charlaine Harris-- This is the 13th and last book in this series.  I have read them all, not that I'm proud to admit that...  The books have never been great literature, but the story is a good escape.  I won't ruin it for you, but things end up pretty much the way I had hoped they would.

3. "Beautiful Darkness" by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl-- So, I watched the movie that was based off of the first book in this series before I read this book.  The movie was interesting enough that I picked up the book to see what the real deal was.   The book weaves a few elements in that would not transfer to film well while picking up where the first installment of the story left off.  It is one of the few books in the "paranormal teen romance" genre that has a male protagonist which makes it more interesting to read than others, not that I would call this a "boy" book, but it's not a "girl" book either.

4. "The Woman Who Died A Lot" by Jasper Fforde-- This is the next book in the Thursday Next Chronicles.  I love them.  The books are absurdist literature, so you really need to have that in mind going in because things are going to happen that just don't happen in worlds that are goverened by physics or logic.  In this little adventure, Thursday has aged a bit and retired from her book world gig.  She is the head librarian of her town and has an armed force at her disposal.  Why?  So she can collect late fines from those dodging collections.  It's awesome.  Also, in this adventure she mentors a younger verion of herself, teaches her daughter about love, and helps keep her son from killing someone.  It is funny and engaging.

5. "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel" by Robin Sloan-- Ariel recommended this book to me ages ago, but it took me a bit to get around to it.  This was a super engaging read, with a moral, and lots of great one liners.  It would be an awesome book for class study if you were dealing with belief structures, faith, and the idea of immortality.  I could see using this with a college class in order to spark some interesting conversations.  It also questions how far technology can do to solve human problems.  It's interesting in many ways and well written to boot.






Comments

Popular Posts