The Most Un-Christmas of Christmas Eves

This Christmas Eve is shaping up to be one for the books.

First off, I'm at work.  This is not something that has ever happened in my professional life.  While I was working retail? Sure. I pulled a few unlucky Christmas Eve shifts at the Banana.  But this is not a day school teachers work.

Ever.

I was on duty this morning, greeting kids and checking uniforms like I do, when I was caught off guard.  One of the grade 12 students answered my "Good Morning" with "Merry Christmas".  I was so moved that he would remember that my eyes welled up and spilled over.  I was so thankful to be wearing sunglasses in that moment.

Now, at 10:30 in the morning, there is techno music blaring from the speakers at the K-4 part of the campus.  There seems to be a "Christmas" party going on.  Santa is handing out candies (but not candy canes because you can't get those here), kids are running around like lunatics, and the traditional sounds of Christmas are replaced by the more universal dance club mix.

I wonder what else will come my way today.

Comments

Popular Posts