Pink Baby Quilt

So, about a week ago, my husband asked me if I could "just throw together" a baby quilt for his boss's new granddaughter.

I laughed.

If you know me, you know I don't "just throw things together". I make them well. So I declined at first.

Then Adam said things like, "this kind of thing goes over well with the boss" and "I'm not really in a good place right now at work, so could you..." and wore my resistance down. So I went though my scrap box and found a bunch of pink scraps from Kari's quilt (not posted on the blog yet because it's a wedding present) and some purple scraps from a quilt I gave to Ariel, and came up with almost enough for a baby quilt.


I needed to get two fat quarters to fill in with the scraps and something for the backing. I ended up going for a modern baby quilt with bright poke-a-dots of all sized, some solids, and a few batiks (just because they were in the scrap pile). I think it looked pretty good when I got it all together.


I've started following Leah Day. She has some pretty good advice for new quilters. One pointer is to starch the hell out of anything before quilting it. This is the second quilt that I have used this starch tip on, and the quilting goes more smoothly. I'm not sure why, but I think the stach keeps the fabric sandwich from stretching and creating puckers.


I went nuts with the quilting, using an all over free hand pattern of a squared off Greek Key. It ended up looking really cool with the bright pink thread on the black backing. I also liked the contrast between all of the poke-a-dots and the straight lines.

I even had enough pieces left from the quilt to make a binding for the quilt. This is a shot of finishing the binding on the front after the quilting was finished.


Adam was impressed with how it turned out and was my happy quilt holder. Here are the shots of the front and the back after it was finished.



Amy, the baby's, Anakena's, mom, really liked the quilt when Adam took it to her. The whole office was impressed with my sewing talents as well. So the really purpose of making the quilt was achieved. Adam, via my efforts, looks good at the office. Adam says, from over my shoulder, that he got NO CREDIT and the people at the office assumed that it was ALL ME. I'm sure he looks good by association.

Comments

  1. Turned out awesome. I love the way the purple fabric with the sort of diagonal diamond pattern looks with all the pinks. I need to get with the program and get some projects finished!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts