Portland-y Thing #1- Portland Spirit

Last week, Friday, Lisa Bartee invited me to ride the Portland Spirit with her. She was going to go with Mike, her significant other, but he ended up having to work.

The Portland Spirit is a boat that takes tours down the Willamette River. If you don't know the Portland area geography well you may think the Columbia River runs through town. That would be incorrect. It is the Willamette River that runs through Portland and it meets up with the Columbia five miles north of down town at the Oregon/Washington border.

Here is a map of how the two rivers come together that was on the stairwell from the top deck. We did part of the bridge tour, which only goes part way down the Willamette River to Milwaukie (a 'burb of PDX) and back up to the Burnside Bridge.



We started the cruse on the bow of the boat, but after about 25 minutes of wind, we went in the cabin to warm up. My hair was crazy in the wind and I didn't have a hair tie or a warm (enough) jacket with me. The day was near 70 degrees and I just didn't think about how cold it would be right on the water.


The boat we were on was a three story boat with a full dining menu and entertainment. The crew sings to you like in 1950 movies. It was fun.

This is one of the biggest houses on the river! I think we counted 7 stories and the tour guide said it has even more space carved out under the hillside.

Of all of the bridges in Portland, the one that creeps me out (besides the Sellwood bridge rated 2 on a 100 point safety scale) is the Steele Bridge. This is what the bridge looks like from the bottom. That dark spot is a car driving over the bridge.


This is one of the most famous signs in Portland: The Made In Oregon sign. It's kind of hard to see in the trees, but you get the idea.

This was a fun day with Lisa. I'm glad she invited me to go along, as it is a very Portland-y thing to do. I am trying to do more Portland-y things before leaving this summer, and I'll keep you posted on how that goes for me.

Comments

Popular Posts