Kiki's Quilt and Two More (Don't Peek Kim)

I have finished a quilt for Kim and Nic's new baby. I call her Kiki, even though she does not have an official name yet. This quilt is in purples for Kim. I also was trying to learn a new technique on this quilt, how to do triangles, so it was nice to have a small project to learn with.


The dark purple blocks make it hard to see the pattern. This is a lesson I'll remember for the future when making blocks with interesting shapes. Strong contrast is needed in the fabrics, and big, bold prints may not be the best idea for both fabrics. I like how the pink/purple blocks turned out better with the light background of the one fabric contrasting with the dark background of the second fabric.

I quilted the blanket in a chevron pattern of swirls. The backing fabric is dotted Minky, which is going to be super soft for Kiki.
Here is a close up if the back quilting on the Minky.

And here you can see all of the triangles in the blocks.

I am also working on two more baby quilts for Miss Sarah and Anna. Miss Sarah is my ballet teacher at CBA. The baby shower for her and Anna is next Sunday, so I'm really trying to get these done.

Miss Sarah's favorite color is green, and she is having two boys. I had purchased some fabric before I knew she was going to have boys, which is why there are some flowers involved in the prints.


Trust me, there are two quilts here, not just two pictures of one quilt. You can see a bit of the other quilt on the left side of this shot.


The binding was made by Dr. Lisa Bartee. The binding is the stuff that looks like stripped ribbon in the above photo. I have it laid next to the quilt in the photo below so you can get an idea of how it will look.


For the backing I have a chocolate brown solid. I just pulled it out of my stash and thought it made the quilts a bit more "boyish". I'm planning on quilting in green thread, but I need to see what the backing does in the wash first.

I'm also working on a cat bed for Comma. I'm using the Minky scraps from Kiki's quilt, and some red whale corduroy that I got at The Whole 9 Yards for $2 from the sample bin.

I'd like something black and fuzzy to add to this, but nothing in my stash fits the discription, and I don't want to buy anything else just for this. Comma will need to make due.

Comments

  1. Comma's bed will be AWESOME.

    Let me know if you need help with figuring out how to sew the binding on. I have a couple good websites with tutorials.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts