Reading List for January

This year I'm going to try and keep track of all the books I read. I've never done this for an entire year, but I have done this for my summer reading. In the past I've simply stacked the book I finished in a corner and then carried them into class on the first day of school to talk about with my students. The largest stack that I have ever carried in was nearly as tall as I am (5'10") thanks in part to all of the hardcover books in the stack.

Here is the list, in no particular order, for January with some commentary:

1. Lost in a Good Book by jasper Fforde- A funny little alternate universe for bibliophiles where Thursday Next (the main character) is able to enter books to solve mysteries. I thank Aaron Dingfield for loaning me this one.

2. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson- A page turner! This hot little number had me up at all hours to find out what happened next. This is also a mystery, but with a bit more.

3-8. Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted, and Tempted by T.C. and Kristen Cast- These are YA Lit that fit into the vampire genera that the kids are loving. These books are quick reads and are appropriate for a middle school reading level, but have adult content. These will not be added to my sanctioned reading list, but they helped pass the rainy Portland days this January.

9. Emma by Jane Austin- How can you not love a Jane Austin book? I have been reading all of her books bit by bit these last months and Emma is one of my favorite characters yet.

10. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray- This is the third book in a series that I introduced to my students and then never could read because it was always out on loan. This book is set in 1860's England and has an interplay between real life and an alternate, magical reality. This is a bit hard to follow when the magical world is in play because it is hard to picture at times, but not a bad read.

11-12. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling- You all know this story and sometimes it's good to reread things to keep them in play. I'm working on year three right now.

13. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See- 15th Century China was an interesting place. I knew nothing about foot binding before reading this book, and, although it is fiction, the realities of the pain and suffering made my stomach turn. The story focuses on two girls and the main character, Lily, whose position in society is 0n the rise. An adult book.

I think that is all in the way of books for this month. I fell like there is one or two more, but I think I have a chapter or two to finish in each before they are 100% done.

I hope you all are enjoying some reading as well.

Comments

  1. You should check out GoodReads.com. You can keep track and rate and write reviews. I'm using to keep track of what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started experimenting with pleats last night. While I turned out a new bag, I was happily re-reading (listening to) The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I love comparing the experiences and reliving the character development.

    Do you know about audible.com?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts