October Reading List

The month of October was a productive reading month.  I don't expect November to have a single book on it's list because of NaNoWriMo, and the time I would spend reading I will need to be writing to reach my 50,000 word goal.

1. The Elegance of the Headgehog by Muriel Barbery-- This is one of the best book I have read in a long time.  The relationship between Renee and Paloma kept me reading into the wee hours of the night.  The ending surprised me, and came as a true surprise.

2. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta-- Do you remember summer camp?  This book takes the idea of bunk battles to a whole new level.  Some of the references are totally lost on me because the book is set in Australia, but the story is engaging.  This is a good book for it's intended audience of middle schoolers.

3. Ash by Malinda Lo-- Take the Cinderella story and put a new twist on it and you get this novel.  This is the first novel that I have really found that gives voice to the confusion of being young and gay.  The main character, Ash, suffers all of the traditional pains of Cinderella: No mother, no father, a horrible step-mother and nasty step-sisters.  She also has the good fortune to have a fairy "godfather" and a friend who shows her that life can be different.

4. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green-- This is a strange premise: one boy who dates 19 girls named Katherine.  Strange as a premise, but when you take into consideration the boy is something of a washed-up child prodigy, this book makes for a believable little ditty.  Hassan, the best friend, is a cool cat too.

5. Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway-- Remember how hard it was to go through a break-up in high school? Take that feeling and add to it the fact that your ex wrote a song about it and it became a #1 hit single.  That is what Audrey is facing in the novel "Audrey, Wait" and I feel bad for the girl.  It's hard enough to break-up with someone, just imagine how hard it would be to be the subject of a media blitz as well.

6. Evermore by Alyson Noel-- This is yet another spinoff on the vampire craze that Twilight has started.  It seems that one out of three new books in the library has something to do with a supernatural character that is (a) a vampire, (b) can live forever, or (c) wants to be one of the first two.  This book is filled with spirtits that can not or will not crossover to the afterlife, one "person" who has been alive for hundreds of years, and a high school girl who is in a serious funk.  There are amny versions of this story out there right now, so you don't need to read this one.

My goal this month was to read a bunch of light, YA lit.  I've done it and I'd assess this month as two stinkers, three average reads, and one that I would reccomend to a friend.  I'll leave which is which up to you.

Comments

Popular Posts