Being a Student Again

This week I have been trying to get some course work done so that I can renew my teaching certificate. 

Let me tell you, being a student again is testing my will power.  It is way, WAY more fun to work on other things that it is to do homework.  I think this is compounded by the years that I have spent on the other side of the education coin.  I like being the teacher and making up assignments, but I don't know if I really like being the student anymore.

For me, this is an interesting experience. 

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm always learning new things.  Since I started this online class for my teaching credentials, I have learned how to embroider, how to make cake donuts, how to do pilates, what there is to do in Copenhagen, and what to pack for a weekend trip to Antep (more warm clothes!).  I could likely name many more things that I learned how to cook, because I'm always learning how to cook something new. 

Last night, just for instance, I learned how to make refried beans.  Why? Well, I wanted to make enchiladas and you can't buy refried beans in a can here.  So it was make them or do without.  I opted to make them.  They are pretty dang tasty too!

I started taking this class last spring.  I think I really started in April working on the course work.  I did the first six assignments before the summer, and then I took the summer off so that I could visit with all of my family.  When I returned to Turkey this fall, I started back up with the class in my spare time. 

Now, December, nine months after I started, I finally put the class to sleep today.  I am thrilled to be done with the work for at least one of the classes I need to take. 

I've got the other class syllabus here in front of me, and I hope I can get through this next one faster than the first. 

Let me tell you, the 14 assignments that I just finished took me more than many of my university classes, including the time I spent in class at lecture!  Hopefully, all of my effort pays off and I ace the class. 

Comments

Popular Posts